AFC Champions League Review: Evergrande edge thriller, Wanderers held

Guangzhou Evergrande maintained their perfect record in this season s AFC Champions League with a 4-3 win over Kashima Antlers.

The 2013 champions were surprisingly dumped out of the competition at the quarter-final stage last term by eventual winners Western Sydney Wanderers.

But they have made an assured start to this campaign, as Wednesday s victory made it three wins from three in Group H.

Ricardo Goulart gave them the lead in the 10th minute, but they found themselves behind after goals either side of half-time from Hiroyuki Takasaki and Shoma Doi.

Elkeson brought Evergrande level, before Goulart s second and Zhao Xuri s strike made the game safe, ensuring Gaku Shibasaki s late effort was merely a consolation.

Evergrande look well pl…

Morata´s agent not ruling out a move for Man Utd and Juve-linked striker

Alvaro Morata s agent has not ruled out a move for the in-form Atletico Madrid star but declared at the moment I say that he stays .

The Spain international scored twice as Atleti started the LaLiga season with a 3-0 win at Getafe on the back of a hat-trick in a 4-0 friendly rout of his former club Juventus.

Morata has been linked with Manchester United and a return to Juve, where he was on loan for the past two campaigns.

The 29-year-old s representative, Juanma Lopez, says the ex-Real Madrid forward will remain with Diego Simeone s side as it stands, but suggested he could depart before the transfer window closes on September 1. 

He told Chiringuito: At the moment I say that he stays at Atletico Madrid, we are in August. Will he stay? Yes, he has a …

Sabitzer future unclear again following Bayern coach change

Marcel Sabitzer left Bayern Munich to join Manchester United on loan in January, with no option to make the transfer permanent included in the agreement.

According to Fabrizio Romano, the 29-year-old midfielder wasn t a part of Julian Nagelsmann s plans at the Allianz Arena, and he currently enjoys his spell at Old Trafford, playing under the command of Erik ten Hag. There was a growing feeling that an agreement would yet be found between the clubs in the summer.

But following Bayern s sudden decision to sack Nagelsmann and appoint Thomas Tuchel in his place, things appear to be less clear for Sabitzer at the moment. It may well be that the former Mainz, Borussia Dortmund, Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea boss decides to keep hold of the Austria international, who has mo…

Prediction: Russia vs France

Verdict: France

Best Odds:

Bookmaker:

The 2018 FIFA World Cup hosts welcome the Euro 2016 hosts and finalists France with both teams looking to make final tweaks ahead of announcing the final squads for the big event later this year. Both sides are coming off from defeats in their last week’s friendlies and will be looking for an important morale boost.

Russia

Dealing with Brazil is never an easy affair but World Cup hosts were definitely hoping for more than a comprehensive 3-0 defeat at Luzhniki Stadium on Friday.

Goals from Miranda, Philippe Coutinho and Paulinho inside a 13-minute blitzkrieg were enough to see off Stanislav Cherchesov’s men in a rather compelling fashion. The Russia head coach should be complimented for his brave appro…

Barry West Brom future in doubt

The Telegraph understand that Gareth Barry’s West Bromwich Albion future is in doubt, despite a clause being triggered in his contract for him to be handed a twelve month extension.

The former England international has reached twenty-five league appearances for the Midlands club which means he earned a new deal though it remains to be seen whether he will remain at the Hawthorns following a number of off-field altercations.

Barry was allegedly involved in an incident in Barcelona earlier this year while he was pictured in a nightclub on the eve of their game with Burnley at the weekend though he is currently out injured.

The thirty-seven year old has played twenty-nine times in all competitions since signing from Everton in the summer of 2017.

Howe…

Lazio set to sign Barcelona defender

Barcelona full-back Patric is nearing a summer move to Lazio, .

The Biancocelesti aim to sign a back-up to starting right-back Dusan Basta and the 22-year-old Spaniard has emerged as their top target.

Lazio already attempted to bring Patric to Stadio Olimpico last summer, but they should have a much easier job this time out seeing as the player s contract at Camp Nou is due to expire in June.

Having struggled to break into the first team set-up, the talented defender, who can also operate in the centre of the park, has decided to leave the Catalans for greener pastures and is seriously considering a proposal from the Serie A side.

Patric made his only competitive outing for Barcelona in the Champions League clash against Ajax in November 2013, but he am…

Pellegrini sure City will win title back

Manuel Pellegrini has vowed to bring the Premier League title back to Manchester City next season after they relinquished their crown to Chelsea.

City won a Premier League and League Cup double in Pellegrini s maiden campaign in 2013-14, but it was Chelsea s turn to achieve the same feat under Jose Mourinho this term.

The Chilean is expected to stay on next season, but reports in the press suggest City are hoping to tempt Pep Guardiola to the Etihad Stadium at the end of his Bayern Munich contract.

Pellegrini is planning to do all he can to stay at the Etihad, starting with bringing the title back to Manchester.

I am sure we are going to return stronger next season and that we are going to recover the title for the Etihad, he told the Manchester Evenin…

Mourinho: Mallorca won´t be pushovers

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho expects Mallorca to provide stern opposition as they look to continue their climb up the table on Sunday.

Mourinho will be returning to the ground where he took charge of Real for the first time in 2010.

For me it is like any other stadium (Mallorca s), he said. I had my debut as Real Madrid manager there but, for me, it feels like any other venue.

It s always difficult to play there. I remember drawing or only scraping narrow victories there, so I think the match will be difficult tomorrow.

After a difficult start, Real have found form and Mourinho may call on Michael Essien and Luka Modric s services as he bids to stretch their unbeaten league run to five matches.

(Michael) Essien may play in midfield. Tom…

Monaco keen on Basel keeper

Monaco have been showing interest in FC Basel goalkeeper Yann Sommer, French daily .

The French giants have been in the market for a new shot-stopper, but they have failed in their attempts to sign Steve Mandanda and Stephane Ruffier.

Nevertheless, Monaco have recently turned their attention to Basel s Yann Sommer, and they have already established the first contact.

The Principality Club will give their best to lure the talented keeper to Stade Louis II, but current number one Danijel Subasic is also seen as a good option.

Yann Sommer began his professional career at Basel, but he has only established himself as a first team regular during the 2011/2012 season.

He did gain some much needed first team experience during loan spells with Vaduz and …

Guiza delivers as Spain finish third in Confed Cup

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso scored off a free kick to give Spain a dramatic 3-2 extra-time victory over South Africa on Sunday in the Confederations Cup third place play-off.

A largely incident-less game sprang to life late in the second half when Bafana Bafana (The Boys) striker Katlego Mphela scored only for another substitute, Daniel Guiza, to strike twice for Spain within 60 seconds.

Mphela struck again three minutes into stoppage time to add 30 minutes on to the match and Spain took the lead again to defeat the host nation for the second time in nine days after a 2-0 group win.

The host nation made one change from the team that held Brazil until two minutes from full-time in the semi-finals with suspended midfield enforcer MacBeth Sibaya back in place …